Water Softener Was The Culprit
Just got back from an interesting inspection, in that it was a scenario that I had seen before, but wasn’t that common. The homeowner that hired me for the inspection described a situation where every so often, she would find wet carpet in her family room downstairs. It wasn’t on a set schedule when the dampness would occur, and there were no bathrooms or kitchen nearby that might explain where the water was coming from. I checked along the exterior of the home, and didn’t appear that the water was coming in through the foundation either. This is when the light went off for me. I had been to a job a few years ago with almost the same scenario. So I asked the homeowner “Do you have a water softener?” She told me that she did, so I set to investigating that as a potential source of the water. I started the water softener through a cycle, and within a few minutes, it was apparent that this was the culprit. As the water softener sent water down the main floor drain, it started to back-up; the drain was slow-moving and couldn’t handle all of the water being sent its’ way.
With the source determined, I set out to get her home dried out. I had her call a rooter service to get the drain opened up. Tomorrow, when I go back to check and see how things are drying out, I should get a report on what caused the blockage.
The only other thing I would add would be to not ignore water damage. This had been going on for sometime, and it caused some long-term damage that could have been prevented if we had gotten the call sooner. Almost always things get worse, not better with more time. If you have any questions, give us a call!